12/15/11

The Written Word

I have recently finished 3 books this week, partly due the panic sensation that my brain was finally getting slow and part from the boredom of work.


Digging to America - Anne Tyler 
This is not usually a genre that I would willingly pick up. A story of two korean babies adopted by an American and Iranian family respectively. No real plots, like a lot of books these days. More so a documentation of how these kids grew up in two different households and how the family learned to relate with one another. It was cleverly written i must say for the lack of plot. I was still intrigued to turn the pages. All in all a worthwhile read.

3/5 stars.








Ugly - Constance Briscoe
I can honestly say that this book is morbid and disturbing. Being a true story only makes it more so. A documentary of a girl with a loveless childhood. It tells of beatings, verbal abuse, abandonment, and psychological disorders that one would think to fit better in fiction novels than in a biography. Though many times throughout reading this i was frustrated and had hoped she would have fought back with more ferociousness. The ending thought did give hope to the reader for a better life for the character. The writing style was somewhat too simple than what i usually prefer, but because of the circumstance of the story being written by the character herself, I didn't give it much more thought.  

4/5 Stars





Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen
This was actually a long time coming. I'm really ashamed to be saying that I have only read this till now. As expected, i pretty much fell in love with this book, being the hopeless romantic that i am ^^. I think a nice portrayal into the human behavior. Very sweet, but not sickly sweet, with very nice language such as 

"You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you"

Though i did take my time in reading the sentences, being that the language was so old. Definitely worth all its praise.

5/5 stars =)

No comments: